3.30.2010

Macaroons

I LOVE sleep. I never realized how incredibly awesome it is. Like legit. I'm on spring break right now so sleep is actually attainable. No getting up at 5 am for an entire WEEK. and it was 78 degrees today. I think mother nature is trying to tell us all that summer should come 2 months early. I definitely be ok with that.

And in other news, both absolutely horrible and incredibly awesome. On Monday I discovered to my absolute horror that I did not make it into the highest choir at my school, while both my best friends did. It just confirms my own mediocrity and unworthiness. But then today, I found out that I made it into that Barnard program over the summer in New York. I'm pretty much psyched. Maybe I didn't make it into the choir because of the summer program. I'll just stick with that because it makes me feel better.

Next week is Passover and I am in charge of all the desserts. Since I have school the day of the seder, I got a bunch of my baking done today. I made regular and chocolate macaroons. I've never had chocolate ons before but I can't imagine that anything involving chocolate and coconut could be all that horrible. The camera is being stupid right now so you all will have to live with no pictures. I'm sure that will difficult since SO many people read my ramblings. That's no problem, however, it's still kind of fun writing to nobody.

These stick like none other and they spread quite a bit more than you would expect so you might want to spray the paper.
Macaroons
Martha Stewart

3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven o 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Using your hands, mix well, completely combining ingredients.
3. Dampen hands with cold water. Use 1 1/2 tablespoons to form mounds; place on prepared baking sheet, spacing each 1 inch apart.
4. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool on a wire rack.

Chocolate version: PLace 4 oz. of semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt. Increase coconut to 2 2/3 cup and combine all ingredients with 1/4 cup of cocoa and chocolate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment