3.31.2010

Food Trivia Wednesdays: Coconut

I can't deny it. Coconut has been on my mind a lot. Only because I have made dozens of macaroons over the last two days, all of which use way too much coconut to be comfortable. Anyway, it's a pretty appropriate ingredient for food trivia this week, no?

Every year, 150 people are killed by coconuts. Apparently, that's ten times the number of people killed by sharks. Wouldn't that be a sad way to die? So, I think the moral of this story is, do not worry so much about prowling sharks in the water on your vacation. Instead, avoid coconut trees.

Coconut water is the liquid inside the coconut, coconut milk is coconut steeped in hot water and then strained, and coconut cream is coconut milk cooked down until it thickens. Oh my, so much to remember!

About 20 billion are produced each year. Can you believe that's all the facts online. Well that's sad. I'm sorry. Next week will be more promising I swear.

0 comments:

Post a Comment