3.17.2010

Food Trivia Wednesday: Onions

So I've decided to implement a new weekly post to keep up the activity on the site and to learn some useless random information that hardly anyone needs. But that's why it's fun.

What popular ingredient did ancient Egyptians place their right hand on when taking an oath?

 Yes that's right. An onion. It's supposedly symbolized eternity. I can sort of see why. Don't you feel like crying for eternity for after cutting an onion? My grandpa likes to eat onions like apples. Then his breath makes me want to run for eternity in the other direction. He should eat some parsley because apparently it gets rid of foul onion odor.

Anyway, the Egyptians worshipped the onion and it was the only vegetable that had the privilege to be made out of gold by the artists. No other veggie can claim that honor. I think I'd like to have a gold onion in my room.

An old English rhyme states that the thickness of an onion skin can predict the severity of the coming winter. Thick skins mean bad weather. I think that those onions just might be more helpful than Punxsutawney Phil.

So there you have it. More than you ever wanted to know about onions and what goes on in my brain on a daily basis. Happy Wednesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment