2.01.2010

Granola






I may not have blogged in over a week, but that sure doesn't mean I haven't been working at all. In the interest of making this site as awesome as it can possibly be, I decided to mess around and see whether or not I could improve the look. I was  gallivanting around the Blogger help page when I found the page about using templates from another site. What?? I thought to myself. You can use templates other than the generic ones they provide??? OOOOOHHHHH this could be interesting.


And so, I began working my way through blogskins.com. I found several that I liked a bunch, so i decided to try one on for size and see how it fit. I actually had trouble finding out how to download the template and when I successfully downloaded one, I could not for the life of me figure out how to actually put it on my site. I followed the instructions, but it all dealt with html coding and weird computery stuff that my poor 15-year-old brain can't focus on. Oh well, it was a nice try. I accepted the fact that I probably would just go on having a blog with a plain face.


The next day, however, I had another go at it just for kicks. This time, I looked up "blog templates" on google and clicked on the first link that appeared, btemplates.com. This time it worked. I thought my little blog looked so FREAKING AWESOME. There were little tabs and everything that you could click on. But no,it turns out the tabs were not clickable.  Dang it!! Just when I thought life was great, another problem crops up. I found a few instructions about how to insert material but I was done with the whole html thing. I found another template that is just as cute with no tabs. Maybe sometime when I'm feeling less drained from musical and school I'll spend the time to actually figure out what I'm doing. In the meantime, I like the present status of my blog.


Also, this weekend I made granola. Yup, that hippie grub that they all used to eat up in Boulder (or so my mom tells me). I think its pretty delicious however. You can pretty much do whatever you want to with it. Feel like cashews instead of almonds? Dried apricots instead of raisins? Go for it. I decided to go with almonds and craisins due to my house's lack of raisins and sunflower seeds. We had plenty of coconut left over from macaroons on passover but no honey, so I used light corn syrup instead and it turned out fine. Maybe, way WAY deep down I really am a hippie. I am vice president and cofounder of the Green Club at school after all. Enjoy!


Great Granola
from Jane Brody's Good Food Book


1/4 cup butter or margarine, or a combination
1/4 cup honey
3 cups rolled oats (regular or quick)
1 cup shredded or flaked coconut (optional)
1 cup sunflower seeds (untoasted)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
2/3 cup raisins


1. In a large oven-proof skillet or 9x13-inch baking pan, melt the butter and stir in the honey.
2. Add the remaining ingredients except the wha=eat germ and raisins and bake the mixture at 350 oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wheat germ, if desired, and bake another ten minutes or until the mixture is lightly browned.
3. Remove the granola, stir in the raisins and let cool completely before transferring to a storage container. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment