6.02.2010

Blackberry Strawberry Pie

Today is an important day. The first day of summer. Now, of course, I have been waiting for this day for a VERY long time, but now that its here, I am at a loss with what to do with myself. It seems like before summer, i had all these grand ideas about what I was going to do. All of them seem to have happily flown from my head. I think its time to employ some of that creativity that I haven't used in quite a long time. It might need some time to get used to being used again because I can't currently think of anything to do. I can't bake because someone (my mother) must approve it which she probably won't because its hot outside.  Hmmm......

It's not that I don't have anything exciting planned because I do. In 24 short days, I will be boarding a plane all by myself to make the trip to New York City. I'm so freaking exciting I can't contain myself. I'm taking "New York in the 19th Century" or something of that sort. It's all about reading all these accounts of what life was like in the 1800s. Don't ask me why I didn't take the theater course, because I am at a complete loss as to why I signed up for this course. It'll be exciting anyway, though. We have to read a book called Writing New York: A Literary Anthology. So far, I've only made it through about three of the pieces, but I have to say that they are pretty interesting. The first one was about the history of Manhattan by Washington Irving. I was expecting a very difficult piece that was full of old language. Surprisingly, it was rather hilarious. Who knew that classic writers could be funny? The second one, however, by James Kirke Paulding was so weird. He didn't even write in complete sentences. It was full of ellipses and I had no idea what he was talking about for half of it. Ah well, at least it started out well.

I think when I'm in New York I have class in the morning and then I think we get to sign up for all this cool stuff to do in the afternoon, like dance classes and yoga in Central Park. You bet that I'm going to go see at least one show. OH MY GOODNESS I CAN HARDLY HANDLE THE EXCITEMENT.

The only issue is of the cost. My mom is paying or it but I am responsible for paying her back at least a part of the money. I can't get a job because I am too young. I was thinking of setting up some sort of baking service. Like, if someone needs cookies for a function or cake or something, they could call me up and I would bake it for them. I just have to figure out how to get it started. There, that's what I can work on!

Anyway, this pie is kind of a combination of a couple of recipes. I always use the same recipe for pie crust because it works better than any other one I've used before. Then, I just looked up a recipe for berry filling and adapted it to use only blackberries and strawberries. It turned out pretty darn well if you ask me. Delicious! I'd give you the recipes but I seem to have misplaced them unfortunately. Have a wonderful start to the summer.

1 comments:

Alisa said...

This is delicious! I love this and cant wait to try it.If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Post a Comment