11.30.2009

Bountiful Baking


One of my absolute passions in life that I have discovered thus far is my obsession with baking. I love it. It's very calming, especially when school and other drama is crowding around inside your head. Being half Jewish (and half Japanese-odd I know), I thoroughly enjoy the baked goods that come along with it such as challah. Delicious. It is sweet and yellow and so much better than your average joe bread. This week, because I had no school, I engaged in copious amounts of oven use, even after Thanksgiving and before it. I made homemade marshmallows, a very very messy adventure, ginger-lemon pinwheels, homemade chocolate pudding , and two types of pies. Unfortunately, school began again today and is going to absolutely crazy because there are three weeks left until Winter Break. I have Showcase (talent show) rehearsals and shows this week, musical auditions next week (did I tell you that musicals are another obsession?), and the following week finals. OMG (I totally just did no favor to my generation), one day back and my head's already about to explode right off my body. Sometimes I just feel like giving up, but then I think that I will ruin the rest of my life and be stuck in this godforsaken state for my entire life. That's when I know it is time to break out the flour, but I won't be able to do so for the next three weeks I fear.

Challah 
from Jewish Cooking by Gail Weinshel Katz

2 packages yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
6 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
8 2/3 cups flour
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp. water
poppy or sesame seeds (optional)

In large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, oil, eggs, and 6 cups flour. Beat well with wooden spoon; gradually add more flour until dough is too stiff to beat with spoon. Pace remaining flour on board; knead dough until smooth and all flour is absorbed and dough is no longer sticky. Place dough in large covered bowl; let rise in warm place 1 1/2 hours or until doubled. Punch dow; divide into four part, shaping each loaf as desires. Place each loaf in well-greased pan; let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour). Brush tops with egg wash, sprinkle with seeds if desired. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes or until loaves are golden brown. Cool on racks. Makes four loaves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment